Saturday 4 June 2011

The Shangri-La Dialogue

I've spent the last three days meeting foreign leaders who are in Singapore for the 10th International Institute for Security Studies' Asia Security Summit, or the Shangri La Dialogue as it is better known. The SLD is held in Singapore every year and is attended by defence and foreign ministers, military officials, academics and businessmen from countries in the Asia Pacific region. However countries like the UK, France, Germany and India also send delegations to the conference.

Over the last ten years, the SLD has turned out to be a good forum for world leaders to engage one another on security issues. The foreign guests I spoke to told me that this year's conference has also been very useful. The SLD gave me a hectic schedule of meetings, but it was a good opportunity for me to introduce myself to leaders from the US, UK, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, New Zealand, Russia and Sweden.

Feel free to go to my facebook page to look at the photos.